Mould and damp most likely becomes a problem in autumn and winter. To encourage and maintain good health of yourself and your loved ones ensure that you are keeping your home in a condition that discourages mould and dampness. Some of the things you can do to prevent mould and damp are as follows:
- Air your home regularly by opening windows and doors. A dry and well ventillated home is easier to heat and heathier for you and your family.
- If you are creating moisture or steam (for example, by cooking, using clothes dryer, ironing, or bathing), turn on extractor fans.
- Wipe condensation off walls and windows.
- Hang washing outside and ensure everything is dry before bringing it inside the home.
- Leave wardrobe doors slightly open to allow air circulation.
- Keep shower curtan inside the bath/shower so that water is diverted to where it needs to go rather than on the floor.
- Remove mould as soon as it appears. Diluted white vinegar (half vinegar and half water mixture) is a cheap and very effective option to kill or clean mould.
Remember that it’s your resonsibility to keep your home clean and tidy to ensure healthy living for you and your family.